Thursday 12 September 2019

Flatmates

Before I proceed to write this blog I should probably explain the plot of the show, Flatmates is a BBC comedy series written and created by Gary Parker, Stephen Andrew & Raymond Lau & stars 
Richard Wisker Tallulah grieve, Theo Stevenson Grace hogg ~Robinson & Nethra Tilakumara 

the show follows characters from a CBBC children’s series Millie Inbetween as they venture into adulthood. Having watched Millie Inbetween until the end I was curious to see how this was going to play out. 


Upon finishing it, I realized that I Never watch anything with main characters my own age

 I have no idea if this is because I don't feel I will be able to connect to them as my life is so different from most young people, or that I only really tend to watch BBC police shows or kids T.V, the main reason I gave this a shot was purely through others views & nostalgia for characters I already loved. 

I then realized I could relate to them in many ways. Craig’s complete lack of realization is me most of the time, Declan’s extreme niceness and wanting to impress, Mel’s lack of self-esteem,& just general character awkwardness. 

During this series I laughed way harder than I have in a long time, I was up in pain & wanted a distraction so I watched "keeping it real" & "Saving Craig" whilst absolutely bawling my eyes out (I was feeling especially emotional & had been all day) 


 It's so important, especially in today's society to be showing vulnerability within young people, as if it is shown it allows for people to feel less alone. 

Something becoming normalized gives a chance to those who would generally not to speak up feel more inclined to do so.  

My favourite episodes were saving Craig for its raw realness & showing believable friendships. I also really loved the Cosplay episode for highlighting that older teens/adults still use fantasy to help with everyday struggles & no matter how old you are you should still feel free to dress up have fun can dress up. 



 There's probably much more I could say but whenever I have done reviews before I tend to mention everything I loved & it gets bogged down with spoilers so I'll leave it there.

 If anyone is reading this, please take a minute to watch this brilliant show. 

If this show gets picked up for a series two I would love to see a disabled character

as anyone who has ever read a blog of mine knows I am massive on disability inclusion & after finishing this series I began to wonder how interesting it would be to take a this or similar concept, then add a disabled character, I'm guessing for this to work it would need to show the actual world. 
I know that if I was well enough to get a job it would be so much harder for me along with doing other normal adult things but disabled people get jobs all the time & a lot live things normal adult lives. 

Even if you don't live with these issues I believe you should educate yourself on them, they should be talked about in the media & expressed through television. Which is why I'm currently working on my interview series to try & get people to open up about disability & get people talking. 


Update: I've just read this back & realised how extremely long it is so well done if you've made it to the end 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment