Thursday 28 November 2019

CBBC'S KATY



Based on Jacqueline Wilson’s retelling of ‘What Katy did’ by Susan Coolidge, three-part children's drama series aired on CBBC show KATY aired 23rd March 2018. Going on to
Win two Children's BAFTAs: for Best Young Performer for Chloe Lea as Katy whilst also winning an award for its Writer Tom Bidwell.  Katy was also nominated for best drama series. 

Katy follows an adventurous young eleven-year-old Katy Carr. Katy lives with her dad stepsister Cece step mum Izzie and half brother Phil. 

After everyone goes off on a swimming trip leaving Katy, who is grounded home all alone, she looks for another way to have fun, Katy decided to build a rope swing which ends is a disaster after it snaps leaving Katy lying helplessly on the floor. 

After being taken to hospital it is discovered that Katy has suffered multiple back injuries and as a result will never be able to walk again. Whilst being stuck In hospital Katy finds comfort in new friend Dexter who she continues to confide in even after being discharged from the hospital. Dexter is also responsible for helping Katy
to create her own series of comic strips for her new titled superhero ‘ smash hornet’ 

Smash Hornet gives Katy an expressing outlet for her pain & anger & a reason to not give up even when her life is falling apart. 

This whole idea of smash Hornet is something I think a lot of people with disabilities or illness would be able to relate to.  




It's no secret that I love stories, especially ones that take me to a different place, time or world. one in which I have no limits and am able to do whatever I want without suffering consequences for any of it. The whole idea that I can be someone else gives me another focus. I have many friends in the same position as me and many who I have made friends with through T.V shows after getting to know them I have then realized they also have chronic diseases or other additional needs. 

Stories for me make life a lot easier and enjoyable when I can't get out  & experience things like other people can. 

Through art, Katy finds a new purpose and sense of self-belief as well as a reason to keep going even when she wants nothing more than to give up. 

This show does an amazing job at highlighting Katy's frustrations & fears whilst being stuck in a hospital and at home as she battles learning how to cope with her new reality. 






One of the most powerful moments for me personally was how accurately I felt Katy's first days back to school we're. 

Anyone who has been absent from school for a long period of time will be able to tell you how daunting it is when you have to re-enter that world.  

Friendship groups move on, people change and generally, No one really knows how to react to you, people think they know what's going on in your life but really they have no idea.

 People who you hardly know you or even people who you do know who you've never got on with start to become creepy nice. Teachers act weird as well when I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome & was only in a few hours a day I found the teachers to be worse than the students. 

None of them really seemed to care & also seemed annoyed when I didn't attend their class. I'd say by the end I probably had about two teachers that I truly believed were on my side & we're doing everything they possibly could to make sure I was caught up & staying on track. 




I know that this show doesn't venture a deeply into school life as I just have but my point is that I could relate to those scenes on a really meaningful level which to me is certainly important & I really hope anyone younger or anyone at all who has experienced these issues & has watched this has been able to not only relate but to take something away from it. 

likewise, it gives school students something to learn from. doing most of the time they're probably just trying to be nice but It can appear creepy especially if you've never spoken to that person. Which is why Eva's character comes across as being so realistic. 

 I also believe or would at least like to believe that gossip only spreads when understanding is needed. Shows like this help people understand to help someone who is having a hard time rather than just gossip about them. 

Miss Hodge was an amazing addition to this by getting one of the girls to test out the wheelchair making them understand more about what daily life is like for Katy


I admired how they made the ending so positive when it could've ended in such a different way. Having Katy completely face some of her biggest fears was a really powerful way to note to end the show on. 


It would be really interesting to see more episodes made to see how Katy continues to cope through everything as she beings to get stronger. 

One more thing that I know is certainly worth a mention of how for the most part the disabled characters were played by disabled actors. I feel this is really important & needs to be highlighted more throughout the television industry. 


Chloe Lea who played Katy was kind enough to allow me to ask her a few questions about her time on the show & what it was like to play learning to play a disabled character despite not having a disability. 





Q1: What did you find most challenging about playing a disabled character?


A. I guess it was hard for me because I’m very fidgety and I found it really challenging to get into the mindset of Katy because she’s very determined and motivated.


Q2: Did you learn anything from playing Katy that has helped you in your own life?

A: I’d like to think so. I learned a lot from the cast about acting and just life in general and I hope what I’ve learned stays with me for the rest of my life.


Q3: Did playing Katy help you see a new side to disability? 

A: Honestly I think I found out more than I knew before but I still think I’ve only seen a fraction of what disability is.




Q4: What do you think made the T.V adaptation of Katy so successful?


A: I think it was the message of the show all around. And for me, the message was that life can throw numerous obstacles at you but you shouldn’t feel deterred because you're not alone. People will always be there to help you. Persevere and stay determined and motivated. Strive to be the best you.



Q5: Would you consider auditioning for another disabled role in the future?



A: mean it completely depends. If it’s that character story of them before they were disabled and when they were disabled then yeah. I feel I can be important to tell that story. But if it’s a character that is already disabled then no. I feel like a disabled actor should play that part.















No comments:

Post a Comment