Wednesday 25 March 2020

The Disabled Riding association

Not long after the Second World War, people began to realize that people with disabilities benefited from horse riding.
Early pioneers of this idea now known as the RDA association (Riding for the disabled) included the Winford Orthopaedic Hospital, located near Bristol, Chigwell's (in Essex) Pony Riding for the Disabled Trust and the British Polio Fellowship.


1952 and 1956 sow Danish rider, Lis Hartel competes and wins silver medals for dressage. Despite having no lower leg muscle function.

Lis’s success inspired a considerable movement in horse riding for the disabled which spread to the UK.
A movement had begun and In 1963 those involved began getting together to exchange ideas and knowledge.
1964 witnessed the start of a loose organization called the ‘Advisory Council on Riding for the Disabled’ (ACRD).
Then by 1966, there were already 23 known disabled riding groups around the UK and the disabled riding community was growing larger day by day.

In reach of success 1969, ACRD AGM held a presentation which was presented to the Committee to create what would be known as Riding for the Disabled Association (RDA.) Their first President was Lavinia, Duchess of Norfolk, along with this Princess Anne became Patron. Going on to gain the title of President in 1976, a position she still holds today.

Disabled sports are rarely talked about, even at the time of the Paralympics when disability sports are being showcased worldwide. Its competitors and games as a whole don't seem to be given as much credit as is given to those competing in the Olympics.
It is sad really if you think about how hard these people must train to get there. I'm lucky in the respect that I can walk short distances but even for me, I find exercising extremely difficult. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like for competitors even if they are enjoying themselves in the process.


I've said it time and time again but it is really important for people, especially young children to be able to see themselves.
About a year ago I was scrolling through the tv channels and found a channel playing disabled tennis, never really had an interest in sport, mostly because being asthmatic and joint issues (especially in my early years) meant none wanted to pick me for sports teams.
Which was annoying and partly why I hated sport. Anyway, I found this channel playing tennis (one of my favourite sports although I am still awful at it) I turned to mum saying something along the lines of "I could do that" it's not the fact I wanted to although for a good few days I was convinced I did.
What amazed me was that people in wheelchairs were competing in tennis matches,


If someone had told me this was a possibility I probably wouldn't have questioned it.
I know for a fact that until that moment, I'd never considered it, I'd never seen it. 
In saying that this is coming from a person who constantly gets excited when she notices a disabled character or presenter on T.V and even though I didn't need this as a child (although I think something like "Get well soon" would have been extremely useful.

I had a friend who at the time of the London 2012 Paralympics was determined to become & Paralympian simply because before then she had never experienced perhaps she didn't even know it was a thing. At the time I didn't really understand why she was so excited. And although this ambition was short-lived it gave her the determination and ambition to try harder in PE lessons and something worth aiming for. 


Prince Harry's Invictus Games (Another thing I loved) have taught us all that even people who have been through the toughest of times can overcome their challenges. Making bigger, better and brighter lives for themselves.
If you are a frequent reader of my blogs you will have noticed by now that I go off-topic an awful lot, but I always think it's important to put pieces of my experiences within them.
Going back to horse riding I had the pleasure of getting to interview RDA rider Tegan who I solely agree with on all of her points.





Q)Can you give some background as to what RDA is & what they do? 

  1. RDA is an international organisational made up from many around the world for disabled people to learn how to ride. This could be therapeutic, offer sensory development and overall growth in any child. RDA also offers a sports element allowing riders to compete in showjumping, dressage, cross country, countryside challenge and vaulting against other riders with a similar graded disability in the region and in the nation. It also is a communal space to not only riders but parents and careers, riders are able to bond with their horses and other riders, which without the horses might have been difficult for them to do. Different RDA’s all travel to one destination once a year to see how everyone has improved, this is a very important event to all competitors. 



Q) What inspired you to be a horse rider? 

  1. I’ve been riding for 15 years now, but I guess what inspires me is watching others succeed. Because I see that and that’s what I want for myself. With riding, you have to be on your A-game as there’s always someone who you’re up against but sometimes that rivalry is what keeps you going. As well as watching celebrities such as Oliver Townsend and Sophie Christiansen, they’re always inspiring me to progress!



Q) Do you think disabled sports should be more widely shown on tv. I feel other than the Paralympics & Invictus it is not very widely broadcast?

  1. I think para-sport isn’t given the credit it should have. People don’t always see Paralympians ’s at the same level as Olympians which is disappointing because a lot of the Paralympians are actually better than the Olympians and are so inspiring! This is common within the media, there’s a stigma around disabled athletes how people think it was all just given to them and because they’re disabled they didn’t have to work hard for what they’ve achieved. Which is the complete opposite, para-athletes work and train much harder as there’s more for them to overcome!



Q)How did you find out about RDA?

  1. My physiotherapist told my parents to contact my local RDA. She knew I was getting to an age where I didn’t like doing my physio and there aren't many sports I could do to exercise and thought this would be great physical therapy. 



Q) What have you found to be most challenging about horse riding with a disability? 

  1. Two things, one being the challenge of controlling the movement of the body. Because I have dystonia my arm moves uncontrollably and unconsciously which can become annoying when you finally get the horse working beautiful and then your body ruins it. It’s something that’s uncontrollably but mentally challenging. The other is as an RDA rider there’s a lot of health and safety put in place which means in a place where things are made to be adapted to you there’s still a lot of restrictions. The horse gives you a new sense of freedom but what you do with that freedom is limited. 



Q) How much of an impact do you feel charities like RDA have on people? 

  1. A HUGE impact. From my perspective, I don’t know where I’d be without RDA. RDA has given me so much. It’s a place where worries fade away, friends come together, memories are made and bonds are formed. There aren’t any other successful businesses out there for the disabled community as much as this one. They offer jobs to people who can’t get them, the coaches are everyone’s second mum’s, they support people with things outside of RDA. It’s such a beautiful charity like no other!





Q)What is one piece of advice you would give to someone who has an interest in horse riding? 

  1. I’d say, just go for it! It may seem scary but there’s nothing to be scared about! Everyone is lovely and welcoming and the freedom you get when on a horse is a feeling like no other, can’t go without it! And after a few years, you’ll think... I should have joined sooner!




To find out more about RDA visit: 


No comments:

Post a Comment