Thursday 24 October 2019

Disability in kids TV

Once again welcome to my blog. I've decided that I am going to try and post every Thursday. I'm not planning to start any more blogs until I have finished all my current ones. Most of which only need answers to questions but I am getting confused by having them all in my notes, therefore, do not currently want to add any more. 

I am also still currently writing my disability in CBBC'S The dumping ground blog which I'm planning to post in two parts as I feel I have a lot to say. 

As for this blog, it isn't really an important one but it is something I felt would be fun to do so I have compiled two lists of shows with either disabled characters, presenters or actors. Or shows with a medical theme. 

I will start this blog with the children's shows. I'm really glad to say this wasn't actually that difficult and I managed to do most of it off the top of my head so I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed writing. If you have any to add feel free to message me & I will add it to the list thank you so much for reading. 






CBeebies:

something special: Sign language presenter Justin Fletcher & fellow disabled children uncover the clues of the tumble tap whilst partaking in the child's favourite activities. Justin's alter-ego Mr.Tumble also gets his own sketches which observe him playing games, singing and dancing. 

•Get well soon: Follows DR Ranj as he acts dr teaching a host of puppets about various illnesses in a fun & creative way. 

•Melody: Young blind Melody uses the power of music to create stories in her mind. 

•Magic Hands: Magic hands takes you on a story journey using the art of sign language & music 

Nickelodeon/Milkshake:

•Peppa Pig: Peppa pig follows a young pig & her friends. Introduced earlier this year was Peppa's newest friend Mandy Mouse who uses a wheelchair 



CBBC:


•My Life: Documentary show following the lives of children through their health journeys & aspirations. 


Operation ouch: Operation ouch & operation ouch hospital follow children through there hospital journeys, whilst educating them about various illnesses. twin Drs Chris & Xand van Tulleken also take part in experiments teaching children about how the human body works. 


Nikki Lilly meets: Fourteen-year-old Vlogger & bake off star Nicki Lily who was diagnosed with an AVM at 6 years old, interviews a whole host of celebrities. 


Our CBBC: episode 10 features double amputee Daisy May's journey as she prepares for Kids fashion week 2019, episode 11 follows 13-year-old carer Hope as she attends to helping her mum with her daily tasks & attending young careers & episode 14 takes us along with Harry & Max as they compete against each other at a game of goalball. (A game invented for the visually impaired) 

The Sparticle mystery: After everyone over the age of 15 disappears it's up to a group of children to figure out what is going on & save the day. This show is very disability aware having characters with all sorts of disabilities & medical conditions including diabetes, cerebral palsy & one character who has a foreshortened right arm. 



Other children's shows with minor disabled characters or people include: 
CBBC's All over the place, Dennis & Gnasher unleashed, CBeebies Biggelton, Milkshake's Shane the chef & sesame street who's newest addition is 4-year-old Julia who is on the autistic spectrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment