Sunday 8 December 2019

All about a world with friends




As I have done several blogs in the past on the Charity A world with friends I thought it was time I did one explaining exactly what the charity does, its aims and why it is so important. 


Lewis Hine founder of started A World With Friends (previously named friend finder)  at just fourteen years old after realising how many young disabled or chronically ill young children & adults were isolated and unable to make friends due to missing a lot of school from illness or disability. 

77% of people with a disability reported feeling lonely or isolated in one way or another but through setting up a world with friends, Lewis has helped change that. 

Lewis along with a team of volunteers organise activities for young disabled teens & young adults to enjoy, he has also arranged several proms which have been thoroughly enjoyed by many who have felt unable to attend their own. 





Lewis has helped create many friendships & good memories for people all across England and is currently in the process of creating "A world with friends", a 3D virtual world where
 children can use virtual avatars to meet-up. 

This will mean being able to do activities such as going to the cinema to watch the latest releases together. As well as doing many other amazing things for from home.  A world with friend's objective is to support young people's mental health, self-esteem and to allow them to have something to look forward to.


Lewis has won many awards for his work with disabled & chronically ill young people including 

*The Diana award (2019)
*Daily Mirror NHS hero's special recognition award (2018)
*Bakken invitation award (2017)
*Points of light award (2017)
*Radio 1 teen hero award (2016) 





When I found a world with friends I felt desperately lonely and isolated. Being apart of the charity has really helped me feel I am doing something useful. It has helped me create friends, given me things to look forward to & made me feel apart of society in a way I never thought I would. 

One of A World with friend's latest projects has been recording a Christmas charity single along with video. 

Many recording studios & young people from around the world helped to make this single possible. Special thank you to including The Old Blacksmiths Studios in Portsmouth @britanniaroadstudio in Mexico University of Northampton, Sonic Ranch in Texas USA who all allowed us the use of their recording studios. Also a massive shoutout and thanks to  Chez, Dave and Scott
Who gave their time to produce, direct and edit the video. And of course a massive thank you to all involved. 

I think I speak for us all when I say It was an honour to be apart of the project. 


Our song " Merry Christmas with you" is now available on all platforms to stream & download. Please help us get to number one. 






There was no better way to continue my blogs on disability & charity than to interview Lewis & his mum, Emma. Enjoy 






1: How much do you think Social media allows you to spread awareness of loneliness within sick children, teens & adults? 


A: Social media has been amazing in spreading the awareness of loneliness and isolation that comes with chronic illness and disability. I can talk to people all around the world instantly it’s incredible. It was Facebook that had 33 million views of my video 

2: When you first started the charity did you predict it would grow to be as big as it is? 

A: No, I had no idea it started as just a project I didn’t realise how big the problem of isolation was at the time but I do now 

3:Where do you hope to take Aworld with friends in the future? 

A: A global charity 

4: What do you think your biggest accomplishment has been since you launched a world with friends? 

A: Getting emails and letters from children and young people that have made friends through the charity 

5: Having starred in CBBC'S "My life" & write your own book about your journey. If given the chance would you want to see your life story televised? Either as a T.V series or film? & if this were to happen, who would you want to play you? 

A: Hmmm don’t know 

6: Overall do you think your experience with the media has been a positive one?

A: Yes definitely the media have helped me get my story out there and helped others find out about the charity 

7:What advice would you give to someone wanting to set up a charity?

A: Be prepared to work hard and don’t be afraid to ask for help. When it gets hard don’t give up 

8: Have you got any events coming up that people should look out for? 

A: The next prom is 29 May 2019 
9:What's the one thing you have learnt from working within a charity that has proved to be invaluable? 

A: That helping others is better than doing things for yourself 

10: What's your advice to anyone who is feeling lonely right now 

A: Email me now 
Lewis@friendfinderofficial.com and I will connect you to AWWF


I hope you enjoyed my blog about the amazing world with friends charity & a big thank you to Lewis & his mum Emma for answering my questions. 


Links: 




Phone: 07545 664784 


Facebook page: A world with friends 






No comments:

Post a Comment