Monday 9 April 2018

How social media has helped with my recovery


I have a lot of online friends, I have more online friends than I have friends that I could meet up with on a daily, weekly or monthly basis as most of my internet friends live in different countries. I really want to meet them at some point but at this current time it is pretty impossible. I also have internet friends who do live more locally but again I cant really travel, any travelling of any sort would have to be well thought out with tons of preparation even if it was only a few hours away.



Although I may never get to meet some of these friends or may spend little time with them I feel very lucky to have them in my life & to be able to share my experiences with them as most of them also suffer chronic illnesses or health conditions. People always tell you not to talk to strangers online because they could be creeps, this is true  you do need to be extremely careful but for someone  who can’t get out being able to talk to people even if you cant see them makes a huge positive impact.



Social media has given me a platform where I don’t feel so alone, I can see others going through the same as me & it makes me feel a lot less isolated I got to a point where I felt like none at all understood me and that no one felt the same so I created a chronic illness instagram account this has really helped me except that I am ill and that it doesn’t have to be all bad.



Seeing others posts allows me to see what has worked for them but also allows me to give advice to others as well as receiving it, this makes me feel sort of useful, I’m also currently trying to get involved in as many chronic illness projects as I can,Ive just finished writing a piece for a book a chronic illness website is putting together. This website isn’t finished yet but seeing it all come together really excites me, there plan is to create online groups within the website that you can join, I’m not currently really apart of anything because I can hardly get out but this is going to give me a chance to talk to more people, make more friends, feel even less isolated and hopefully work with some of these people on projects or listen to their stories making me able to write stories about chronic illness that are more accurate to real life.

Support groups/ websites are really helpful and useful to a lot of people for many reasons but I do really feel that without them mentally I would definitely be in much worse place.   



Having some sort of idea of these peoples stories gives me more hope for my own,Ive said it before but at some point I would love to write other peoples stories either as real stories or use them in fictional ones. It’s made me be more open about my struggles and less scared of them.



I would also like to shout out all my fandom friends who have also been so sweet and supportive and seem to understand me when I explain what is going on in my life. All the people who have messaged me or commented on things when I’m sharing my struggles or achievements and for constantly being there but also for being friends that the reason we are friends isn’t because of illness but because we share the same interests, being able to have something else to focus on & talk about works great as a distraction so having this is really good for me,I don’t open up to a lot of people especially if they aren’t facing the same or similar things but you guys have been really good to me you’re family.



If any of my online friends are reading this weather you be from a chronic illness page or a fandom friend first off I love you more than you could ever know, thank you for cheering me on from afar, thank you for being some of the only people who ask after me and for being their. I hope if we haven’t met that one day we do get to meet. I also hope that if we have met that we get to spend more time together one day, probably when I’m more awake so I don’t fall asleep in your presence. I hope I have been able to lift you up as much as you have me, if I haven’t I hope one day I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment